Hutt Valley Clay Target Club is amongst the longest established Gun Clubs in New Zealand and by far, the oldest in the Wellington Province. It is a remarkable story. The Club has survived three changes of shooting grounds, two world wars, and a depression, and weathered just about everything a voluntary Club can.
The Club came into existence on Saturday, 21st February 1903 at 8.00 pm, when twelve men under the Chairmanship of Mr G. Cudby, met at Caseys Hotel in Lower Hutt. A few days later in the Evening Post for Saturday, 28th February 1903, the following appeared:
The formation of the Hutt Valley Gun Club should be welcomed both at the Hutt and in the city. Mr Adnams will make an energetic Secretary, and the club, which has made a satisfactory start, is likely to be a success.